Re: XHTML (was shtml)

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:17:21 +0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:50 26/01/02 -0500, cbirds(at)earthlink.net wrote:
>Thank you this was also an excellent explanation.

:-) Thanks. Sorry if anyone was confused by the missing type="text/css".

>So the external style sheet has no <.html><./html> anywhere at the top or
>bottom?

That's right. The only things that can appear within an external stylesheet
are stylesheet rules and stylesheet comments.

Putting comments in your stylesheets is very useful, by the way. It may
seem obvious at the time what

.nbdr {
         background-color: transparent;
         border-style: none;
         color: rgb(255,255,255);
         vertical-align: middle;
}

does, but its really handy six months later if you have written

/* Used for images where border is to be set to 0 */
/* and vertical alignment is middle               */

>How does this work with frames?

Depends on what you mean by work. You can add stylesheets in the HEAD of
any (X)HTML document, including framesets and documents inside the frames
(which are just regular (X)HTML). I don't know of any method that can be
used in CSS to remove the frame borders completely though. As far as I
know, a stylesheet in the frameset isn't applied to the documents with the
frames, but I've never tried.

Andrew