Re: form validation

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 08 Feb 2002 07:38:55 +0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:04 07/02/02 -0500, Lisa Bradshaw wrote:
>I have a cgi form I use on my site and need to validate it. I know =
>exactly zip about cgi. Does anyone know where I can find a cut-n-paste =
>script that will check that the fields are not empty and bring them back =
>to the form to fill it out properly if they are?=20

I have an under development but pretty much finished suite if JavaScript
form validation functions. The most up to date page is at
http://aamcf.co.uk/temp/js4.html

There is no documentation yet, but you should be able to reverse engineer
what I have done. It handles all types of form elements, including drop
downs (but not drop downs where you can select several choices).

As others have said, client side form validation should only be used as a
convenience for your users, not as a substitute for server side validation.

Andrew