Re: Style Sheets (was RE: Table Width/Heights)

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:55:17 +0000
 To:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 22:43 13/02/02 -0500, Nathan wrote:
<snip/>
>Style sheets are something I've been using more and more often (a great
>tool for sites with many pages of much text!) BUT, I was wondering what the
>general opinion was on how much to rely on style sheets for appearance
>function.
<snip/>

Stylesheets are an excellent way of controlling the appearance of a site.
There are two general tips I have:

         o Use XHTML 1.0 Strict as much as possible. This keeps all your
formatting information in the CSS, which makes it much easier to get the
effect you want.

         o Validate your CSS and try to get rid of all warnings as well -
see http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ A valid, warning free stylesheet
will, at the very least, degrade gracefully most of the time.

It also makes sense to check your sites in a range of browsers, but that
isn't specific CSS advice :-)

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/