Re: Style Sheets (was RE: Table Width/Heights)

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:11:08 +0000
 To:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 23:30 14/02/02 -0500, Nathan wrote:
> >o Validate your CSS and try to get rid of all warnings as well -
> >see http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ A valid, warning free stylesheet
> >will, at the very least, degrade gracefully most of the time.
>
>This is the main part of my concern, though. If I'm using stylesheets to
>control the position of graphics (instead of say, a table) there doesn't
>seem to *be* a degrade curve. It either works or it's blasted to pieces if
>even visible. <shrug> Am I way off base worrying about this?

Unless you are using float in your CSS, its probably not worth worrying
about too much. Float in CSS tends to get screwed up in Netscape 4.
Positioning of things with CSS is fairly reliable, even in NS4. Most
reasonable layouts can be achieved with CSS in a cross browser way.

Your concern should be with browsers that don't support CSS. The chances
are they will have a radically different layout, but as long as all the
information is just as accessible (and it probably will be) that is
graceful degrading. If a user isn't using CSS there is usually a really
good reason for them not using it. Sending a layout-free page is probably
the best thing then. You could use HTML 3.2 for everything, which would
probably look better in NS3, but would work really badly (for example) on
the AvantGo browser on PDAs.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/