Re: Problems with NN 4.7

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:38:32 +0000
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 16:40 19/02/02 -0800, Kukla Fran and Ollie wrote:

>Actually it is not a case of being unable to resolve a relative path or an
>absolute path.  The current path to the external CSS file is incorrect
>from the start.

There is some ambiguity here, caused in part by me not quoting URLs (and me
not paying attention to what I was typing).

http://www.post1.com/home/genie/Personal%20Files/main.html has the line

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Personal.css">

This points at

http://www.post1.com/home/genie/Personal%20Files/Personal.css

which is the correct URL for the CSS.

http://www.post1.com/home/genie/ (the parent frameset) has the same link,
but as it is in a different directory it points to a different file, which
doesn't exist.

>Netscape bawks, and rightly so, when the path is incorrect.

Displaying a 404 not found page when a CSS file cannot be found is madness
(or a very serious bug). External CSS are less important than embedded
images. Can you imagine what the web would be like if 404s were displayed
instead of broken image icons?

Linking to a non existent page is not a coding error (although it probably
was in this case). There are dozens of things outside the authors control
that can break valid links.

Andrew