Re: Style Sheets (was RE: Table Width/Heights)

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:04:42 +0000
 To:  "HWG Techniques Email List" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 23:45 19/02/02 -0500, cbirds(at)earthlink.net wrote:

<snip/>
>For many, CSS is hard to learn, understand, and memorize.

For many French is hard to learn, understand and memorize. That isn't on
its own a reason not to try to learn it.

<snip />
>I call it design snobbery and there is no excuse for it.

There are massive benefits from separating content from presentation. They
include increased accessibility, increased maintainability, faster download
times, greater flexibility on both the server and client side, and more
future proof documents.

<snip/>
>  As far as so
>called "standards" hasn't anybody ever heard of competition?
<snip/>

I have been developing web pages since early 1995. I can remember the
problems caused by the browser wars, which at their worst manifested
themselves in problems like sites that could only be viewed on certain
platforms with certain browsers. Browser competition lead to daft but
flashy things (like frames) and dangerous but flashy things (active X)
while useful features of the language were left undeveloped (<.link
rel="next"> for example).

Today, browser vendors are concentrating on implementing the useful
features of HTML and CSS, rather than the ones that will shut out competition.

Think about what life would be like without any standards at all. There
would be no common elements to the various versions of HTML. That would not
be easy to code for.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/