RE: Using XHTML Strict Reference material

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:03:18 +0000
 To:  "Deborah Rorabaugh" <librarian(at)shadolibrary.org>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:13 28/02/02 -0800, Deborah Rorabaugh wrote:
>One place I found the target attribute of immeasurable value was in frames.
<snip/>

Its designed for frames. The transitional DTD is used for (among other
things) content in framesets.

>BTW - I found the reference material for XHTML Strict to be quite nice, but
>the statement that the width attribute in tables was needless because tables
>sould never be used in layout was a bit over the top since there's no other
>good way I've found to do columnar layouts.

Have you tried using DIVs and CSS? For simple two column layouts that is
fairly robust.

Its TD's that don't have width attributes, BTW.

>The proper CSS for cell width is <.td style='width:100px'>.

That would work. I'm not convinced it should be used though. I think layout
tables and strict need more extensive notes, a bit like the ones I have
planned for. Its also conceivable that a non-layout table would require a
width on a given cell.

Thanks for the feedback - you've certainly given me something to think about.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/