Re: Using CSS to replace tables for positioning

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:06:00 +0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:32 18/03/02 +1200, Richard Lake wrote:
<snip/>
>Could some one tell me how I can get the "wanna do" to occur, the #body is
>variable length enclosing whatever text it contains. I want the "wanna do"
>to always follow the #body but to cover the full width of the screen. With
>everything that I've tried it ends up overlaying #body and #navi directly
>after the #logo.

When you use position: absolute you take the element out of the normal flow
of the document. You want to use position: relative, like so:

#logo {
           height : 100px;
}
#body {
           position: relative;
           right: 140px;
           top: 0px;
}
#navi {
           position: absolute;
           right: 20px;
           top: 0px;
}

The page should be structured like this, with navi inside body:

<.div id="logo">
   <.!-- Content -->
<./div>

<.div id="body">
   <.!-- Content -->
   <.div id="navi">
     <.!-- Content -->
   <./div>
<./div>

<.div id="wannado">
   <!-- Content -->
<./div>

Let me know if this works. I haven't had a chance to test it because my
computers are all playing up.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/