Re: no-margin settings and validation

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 21 May 2002 22:33:40 +0100
 To:  "HWG list" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:49 20/05/02 -0400, cbirds(at)earthlink.net wrote:
>I am not sure I understand what you are demo'ing there....
>Can you explain why you are not closing  or opening your tags with the >
>or < ?

:-)

Because I can...

>Or are you just saying that these mistakes will validate and work in
>newer browsers but not in old?

They aren't mistakes.

In SGML there are various other ways of writing tags, and HTML explicitly
allows some SHORTTAG constructs (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.7 ). This can confuse
people quite easily. In fact, every month or so someone posts to the W3
Validator list complaining that the W3 validator allows "<strong<a href="foo">.

I don't know of any browser that can display SHORTTAGed pages correctly,
although I'm told EmacsW3 can. The trouble with SHORTTAGs is they make the
HTML much more difficult to parse. XHTML doesn't allow SHORTTAGS which is
one of the things that makes it easier to process (and debug).

One of the reasons[1] why I find SHORTTAGs interesting is because, back
when I was a newbie to HTML I found myself wanting to type things like
<.strong>Text</> because </> seemed (and is) unambiguous - close the
current element. Remember, never use SHORTTAGs in any actual real pages:
they generally don't work.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/