Re: Cell border lines via CSS style

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 26 May 2001 21:03:13 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:52 PM 26/05/01 +0000, you wrote:

>>>Can't do it in NN.
>>
>>Well, you can... sort of... but it won't look the same and you have to=20
>>use the shorthand syntax.  Try this for example:
>>
>>p.solid {border: solid 4px #000000;}
>
>This works fine on P's and DIV's but not on TD's. You can't really style=20
>table elements in Netscape 4, except for font, color and background-color.

I was talking about P's and DIV's.  I know styling TD's is buggy in NN 4,=20
that's why I didn't mention them.

>>NN 4 can't display different border styles on different sides this way=20
>>though because it can't handle the border-style property and you need to=
=20
>>use it to achieve this.  Even using border-top, border-right, etc doesn't=
=20
>>work in NN 4.x but at least you can get basic borders in it.
>
>Yes, you can define single borders in NN4:
>
>.solid {border-left-width: 4px;
>         border-left-style: solid;
>         border-left-color: #000000;
>}
>
>works fine. Sometimes, though, you need to set 'border-style' and not=20
>'border-left-style' (though not in this example). This seems to be a buggy=
=20
>area.
>
>border-style is weird in NN4, but it does support both solid and groove=20
>(but groove only on an entire border, not on a border-left). It is true=20
>that the setting of border-style is not required in NN4 (defaults to=20
>solid), but it is in the other browsers, so I always put it in.
>
>In short: this is a complex topic.

Yep it is.  Thanks for the additional info on defining borders in NN4.  I=20
gave up on that piece of crap long ago though and I treat it like a version=
=20
3 browser now and add any style declaration beyond basic font stylings=20
using @import so it can safely ignore them.

St=E9phane Bergeron