Re: CSS in NN 4.7

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:16:27 -0400
 To:  "Rick Hammond" <sjcharger(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:50 AM 14/06/01 -0700, you wrote:

>I had been viewing my pages in NS 4.7 with CCS disabled ooppss! Once I=20
>enabled it the images started over lapping each other (more like piling=
 up).

This is a well known (and very dumb) bug in NN 4.x  Your problem is that=20
you have specified some line-height for the p tag and inserted imaged=20
inside them.  Why did you wrap image tags in p tags?  You'd better use br=20
tags to add space between images or use CSS.   If you'd have had text in=20
there it would have probably been displayed "under" the images too. When I=
=20
specify line-height I do it for the p tag only (as you did) but I make sure=
=20
no images are inserted inside any paragraphs.  Also, never specify=20
line-height for body or td.

 From looking at your page's code and your style sheet, I see that you use=
=20
points to size text.  Points should not be used to size text on the screen=
=20
as they are a print unit that is meaningless on the screen and are very=20
inconsistent across browsers and platforms.  Use pixels instead (read this=
=20
for more: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/).

>What is the subject matter that this is called so I can look it up. I=20
>recall something about "gracefully downgrading" or something like that for=
=20
>older browsers. It can be seen on=20
><http://www.geocities.com/sjcharger/index.htm>any pages of the site, with=
=20
>CSS disabled in NS 4.7

The concept is called graceful degradation and it works just fine in older=
=20
browsers (NN3, etc).  You just have to be careful with NN 4.x's abysmal CSS=
=20
implementation which hasn't got one bit better in 21 incremental updates to=
=20
the browser.  Hopefully, NN 6.1 will start gaining wider acceptance since=20
it's now based on the latest Mozilla build (0.9.1) as opposed to NN 6.01=20
that was based on Mozilla 0.6 or 0.7 which weren't even considered beta yet.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron