Re: AOL vs. POP-sort of OT

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:59:35 -0500
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:58 PM 7/10/2001 -0400, Bart Szyszka wrote:
> >Does anyone know for sure if there's a way an AOL dial-up customer can
> >still set up a POP account with their business domain? I have a couple
> >of customers who are AOL customers. But, they want to be able to receive
> >and send mail with their business domain for business purposes. My
> >hosting company does support redirect, but there doesn't seem to be a
> >place in AOL to change the "from", even on a redirect. (I don't have
> >AOL, so I have no idea how to set up mail with them). One customer had
> >tried a separate POP account with Outlook Express. He could receive
> >mail, but it wouldn't allow him to send out mail. Any suggestions? The
> >only  one I could give them is to sign up for an inexpensive ISP with
> >limited monthly access that they would only use for business mail.

I just did this last month with an AOL customer. You do use Outlook Express
-- set it up to send and receive according to the host's settings
(mail.business.com or whatever) -- and you do need to set it up to send
/and/ receive through the domain host which is different from the way I set
my mail with a different ISP. Then, go on-line with AOL, start Outlook over
the top and you should be able to send and receive that way. Don't use
AOL's mail or any part of the AOL address -- use the host settings for both
sending and receiving mail in Outlook.

You may need to keep playing with the settings until you get it right, but
it will work. Took quite a bit of trial and error when I helped a client
last month (and several calls to the host), but it's working!

HTH
<tamara />