Re: opinions please

by Peggi & Ben Rodgers <woodduck(at)mbay.net>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Aug 2001 07:39:49 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:14 AM 8/9/01 -0500, psalmon wrote:

>I appears we have a great group on this list, so I figured I would throw out
>to you all a small problem I have been having. I hope its not completely OT,
>but I am at my wits end here...

Hi Patti!  You do have my sympathies.  I did a similar-type site although
my clients weren't THAT clueless.  I fussed for awhile about giving them
something interesting but they insisted most people in their organization
would not have the computer literacy or machine capability to handle a site
with anything flashy (even mouseovers).  I finally just stopped suggesting
things and designed some nice graphic buttons for the navigation.  They
loved it.

But to your problem.  If the group is nearby I might suggest you take an
hour and meet with them.  Walk them through your site or one of your sample
sites and explain to them what's happening.  You don't have to go into
mind-boggling detail, but it might be enough to take some of the mystery
out of it for them.  Alternatively, you could try writing up a little
explanatory blurb that will take them through some of the high points of
the site.  Worst case, this might at least keep them busy and off your back
for awhile :)

As for things like the photo links, go ahead and link them up and then
present it as a feature.  Write a little line of explanation someplace near
the photos that tells them to "click on the thumbnail (presuming you
haven't done this) for a larger image" or something like that.

It's hard to step that far back when you know how it all works.

HTH

Peggi

Peggi Rodgers
Flash Developer