Re: opinions please

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:33:43 -0700
 To:  "psalmon" <psalmon(at)cafes.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey, Patti:  ;-)

At 07:14 AM 8/9/01 -0500, psalmon wrote:

>I appears we have a great group on this list, so I figured I would throw out
>to you all a small problem I have been having. I hope its not completely OT,
>but I am at my wits end here.

Pretty off-topic for Techniques and definitely suited for the Business
List, you may want to repost over there to get everyone's opinion.   Much
of this has to do with building client relationships within this still very
new, evolving industry.

><snip>
>  The head of the organization,  is really a newbie. My problem is that HER
>lack of knowledge and those in your organization are causing me such grief
>over designing the website I am about to rip my hair out.  I can't use any
>cutting edge techniques AT ALL, let alone something as simple as a mouse
>over! I have worked on this website for almost 6 months and there is a never
>ending stream of annoying questions about this or that.

This is very typical of many clients.  Heck, if they weren't Newbies they
wouldn't need us!  ;-)  Seriously though, IMNSHO, part of being a developer
is also making clients aware of /all/ the issues they need to be aware of
to make your job easy and for them to succeed moving forward.  Know that
the questions will /never/ end.  I have been working with some folks for
over 5 years and still get questions that are very "Newbie".

>I won't go into details because I would be here all day,  But when I got up
>this morning, I had received yet another annoying email from her. It appears
>that she and her cohorts can't figure out that the underlined words under
>some thumbnail pics are links. I kid you not!  (Patti- banging my head
>against the monitor)

Just take a deep breath. . . technology is overwhelming for the majority of
folks.  Even for those of us who have been riding the train since the
beginning.  Heck, I am soooooooooooo aware of what I don't know and what
grey areas I have to deal with on a daily basis.  ;-)

>On any other site, the actually pic would be a link, or the words would be
>mouse overs, but I can't DO that on this site because these folks would
>NEVER figure it out.

I believe it is our job to give clients what they want making sure they are
aware of what is necessary to have a solid, successful presence - which
doesn't mean they have to have mouse overs because you want them.  Many
times what they want isn't a good idea and we need to "edumacate" them
about why.  If they overrule our recommendations, they do so with that
knowledge at hand. Never, have I pushed bells and whistles on a
client.  Mouse overs are not critical to a successful Web site and if they
don't want them or if you think that would confuse them - that's O.K to not
include that feature.

>My question to all of you here today........WHAT do you do with customers
>like this? I don't mind a few legit questions and stuff, but this is an
>endless stream of inane questions. (ie...why do the links change color when
>you click on them?)<sigh>

Keep in mind that what is inane to you is simply a question to them.  If
you find you are loosing your patience with this client, you may not want
to continue in this line of business as there will most likely be many
clients with the same questions.  The questions will never end.....

>  I am embarrassed by the simplistic nature of this site and annoyed with
>their never ending nit picking.  But its their dollar and does the old
>saying "the customer is always right" apply to this situation?

In this business most of time the customer is not right because they don't
know what "right" is.   In cases such as this, just do what they hired you
to do - create their site they way they want it and be done with it.

You can avoid much of what you explain here by including a presell sheet
that you give new clients that explain all the "inane" questions you are
tired of answering.  Then, if they still ask, and they may because they
possibly will not take the time to read your info sheet, you can point them
to your info sheet for the answers.  That will serve to reduce the
questions and your frustration. ;-)

>Thank you for letting me vent this morning....<grin>

Hey, I feel your pain ;-) - but without a doubt that is a seriously big
ongoing part of having a development business.  I have seen many a "web
designer" come and go because they could not deal with customer
relationship building - a critical part of /any/ business.  And in this
business that includes assisting clients with knowledge acquisition and
answering questions and more questions and then a couple more questions and
then just one more question.  By answering these questions, you gain
satisfied informed clients.

Dealing with clients who are demanding and uninformed is definitely one of
the top challenges of being in this business - or any business for that
matter.  That is why you have to be confident and consoling at the same
time.  They don't have your knowledge and that is why they ask you -
because you do.  They need you to help them learn these issues.   If they
are willing to learn, then you have done your job and will have a satisfied
client - regardless of your personal feelings over the design of the site.

HTH! ;-)
/j