Re: suggestions needed for table alignment

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:45:18 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  x_670(at)mtv.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 18:51 2001-08-25 +0800, x_670(at)mtv.com wrote:
>Hi
>
>Let me just make a few suggestions/comments. Firstly it isn't easy to
>make website for multiple resolutions, unless you want to redirect
>the user to a different page depending on their screen resolution.

Well, I do it all the time with the same page.  :)

>But that's alot of effort. Another point is that although often you
>can use percentages on table dimensions to solve problems for
>resizing, this will not work in Netscape and some other browsers.

Works for me in Netscape all the time. :)

>think only IE 4+ supports this function. I would like to point out
>that I don't think your site would actually be that difficult to make
>work in different resolutions, so if you want to send me the code I
>can have a look at working it out for you. Anyway my main suggestion
>is that if you have access to a scripting language such as ASP that
>use it to get the users screen dimensions and then perform
>calculations on that which would then plug the appropriate values
>into the table dimensions.

And if one doesn't use a M$ server with IIS, then what?  Works for me on a
non-M$ server all the time.  :)

>If you have access to ASP and you would
>like an example of the code for this just let me know. Anyway they
>are my suggestions/comments. Hope that they shed some light on the
>subject :)

Sorry to be nit-picky but the process isn't difficult nor require a
specific web server or browser.  It just takes time. :)