RE: Please Read This Announcement Everyone

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:54:37 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:38 PM 18/09/01 -0500, you wrote:
>No its not doubtful at all.  You don't need to open email
>to have viruses run.  Nor would I ever hoax anyone on this
>list.

It's not a hoax but only people using broken email clients like Outlook are=
=20
affected by this.  I use Eudora myself and I can guarantee you that it=20
doesn't open messages or attachments on its own and that it won't send mail=
=20
to anyone without my knowing.  From the Symantec page you provided a link=
 to:

"The worm uses MAPI calls to read email in your email program's inbox to=20
find new email addresses. These MAPI functions are supported by Microsoft=20
Outlook and Outlook Express. The worm uses its own SMTP engine to send=20
itself as an attachment with no body and with random subject lines. When=20
received, the Readme.exe poses as an audio wav file."

The best protection against viruses like this is not to use Outlook.  If=20
you do and you got hit I'm sorry but you only have yourself to blame.

St=E9phane Bergeron