Re: Document managment etc (input both private and list greatly appreciated)

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:17:55 -0700
 Cc:  "Davies, Elizabeth H." <EHDavies(at)West.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Elizabeth,

You are not only putting the horse before he cart, but you are using an
incorrect cart for the horse you own.  Don't allow the technology, real or
imagined, to dictate how to produce and distribute the document you are
creating.

 From what you have stated:

1)  Creation of a large document
2)  Complex information being provided from many sources
3)  Periodic updating required
4)  Extensive distribution of the document

Without having discussed technology, I have just described the process for
producing a book, a magazine, a newspaper, etc.  For what you appear to be
attempting to do, using the web to disseminate the information, the process
can be the same, and you use the technology to *assist* the process and
*not* use the technology to *define* the process.

What would I do?

Project management.

How would I do it?

I'll start at the end, work backwards and leave you to fill in the details
as needed.

A PDF document distributed via the web.  Considering most software
application manuals are now PDF documents, and often in excess of 300
pages, the size isn't an issue.  For those that fear the size does matter,
the step to create the PDF distributable document is merely to create a
number of PDF documents - chapter by chapter?  :)  It's done all the time.

The PDF document is created/maintained from a single Word master
document.  Overall design, styles, etc., for the Word document are defined
ahead of time.  One person, and if a team is preferred, no more than two
people, are responsible for creating and maintaining the master Word
document.

(Dissemination via HTML pages is also possible with this
document.  However, whether to use a downloadable PDF document, HTML pages
or some other method must be decided with respect to the end users of the
information and what is the method of distribution most suitable to *them,*
and not the producers of the information.)

People responsible for supplying written content for the Word document must
do so according to an established set of written standards with respect to
language, grammar, syntax, etc., -- i.e., technical writers using the same
stylebook.

People responsible for supply graphics and visual content for the Word
document must do so according to an established set of written standards
with respect to graphics tool sets, visual quality, etc., -- i.e., graphic
artists using the same graphics stylebook.

The process for submitting written and visual information is defined ahead
of time, also according to a written set of guidelines.

Problems do not often occur with a well-defined process.  Problems occur
when humans, especially those who *think* they are more important than
others with their involvement in the project, attempt to circumvent the
process because they *think* they know more and/or have a better way of
doing things within the project.  While serendipity contributions and
changes should be welcomed and possibly considered, they may only be
addressed and decided at process meetings, and not at any other time or
avenue.  You see, the process system is not a democratic system.  It is a
benevolent dictatorship system.  And the benevolent dictator is not the
individual or company paying for the document.  The benevolent dictator is
the project manager charged with directing and running the
process.  :)   (The concept is the same when designing web sites.   Sites
are designed for the customers who use them and not the boss who pays for
them. There are limited exceptions, however.)

If $100K is too much, will you settle for $75K?  I'll take $50K and run the
project.  The remaining $25K will go to set up the process, establish
standards for content producers, train the content producers and others in
the process, etc.  Once the project is completed, you will have a project
method defined and in place, along with a set of standards, all of which
may be used in the next big project.  The first time is always the hardest
and most difficult.  Those that follow are pieces of cake.  :)

If you would like more info, feel free to drop me an email.

Dennis

p.s.  If www.west.com is your site, you have a style sheet link
problem.  You home page is inaccessible right now.  :)