Re: OT: Win98 vs Win2000

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:45:36 -0800
 To:  "HWG-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Christie Cooksey" <christie(at)thearmidalemall.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Go to http://www.langa.com and search the past issues of Fred Langa's
newsletter for Windows ME.  You will also find recent information about
Windows 2000 and Windows XP, too.  One you are there, sign up for his free
newsletter.

IMHO, Langa has one of the best objective *and* educated opinions you will
find anywhere.  He doesn't pull punches nor succumb to hidden
pro/anti-Microsoft biases as many writers have these days.

For me personally, forget WinME.  In the Win 9x line, it was the poorest
technical feat Gates produced.  It was a pure marketing project with a few
unneeded bells and whistles thrown in at the last minute in an attempt to
justify its existence.  As a result of this lackluster approach, it is
considered the most unstable and buggy Win 9x O/S.  You would do yourself a
favor in going back to Win98, or Win98SE if you can find it, and you will
be fine.

OTOH, going to Win2000 should be fine, too.  It all comes down to what you
really want to do.

Just avoid WinXP.  Of course, others have already disagreed with this
approach, and others may follow, as are their opinions.  My basis for my
opinion are technical, philosophical, moral and ethical.  Read up on
Langa's comments on XP, too.  The current dialogue doesn't favor WinXP, either.