Re: Opening a page & submitting a form at same time, Lo-tech style

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:07:39 -0800
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You are forgetting two fundamental issues:

1)  JavaScript is not a CGI.  While you can make it appear to do the work
of a CGI on your page, it doesn't do anything in real life.  The actual
form action is just to send you to the destination page, and nothing
else.  Whatever JavaScript manipulations you do to the form contents is lost.
2)  In order to submit email information on a web form, you still require
some sort of CGI script in the background to actually send the email to
you.  That someone suggested the amateur mailto: in a different email means
using a *user's* apparent email capabilities to do the work of the CGI you
do not have in the first place.

Nothing personal but if JavaScript had the ability to do what you think it
does, that script would be available to all long ago.  That there is no
such script out there should tell you something.  :)