Re: Porno spam using form submissions

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:20:17 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  doonavitch <ddoonan1(at)nycap.rr.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Someone hijacked my formmail procedure earlier in 2001:  it went on for two
months before I discovered it was happening.  I was using the latest
version of Matt's formmail.  What I finally did to stop it was to rename
the formmail procedure:  the spammers are clearly searching for formmail.pl
procedures to hijack, so renaming the procedure can be effective.

At 06:36 AM 12/01/01, you wrote:
>A couple of porno-related pieces of spam arrived yesterday. Both were listed
>as being the result of form submissions. The first one I simply deleted. The
>second one was submitted from a site called Karina@Wantsto@@@@.com
>
>Looking at the html source, the second email actually came from a legitimate
>auto parts business. It appears that someone either has hacked their
>servers, or is using a form submission on their site to redirect.
>
>Considering that many of my sites are using form submissions to gather
>information, what can I do to make sure that no one is using them to send
>out spam using my server?
>
>David

-
Chuck Upsdell