Browsers - Was... Javascript usage in site

by ClassAct <classactdesign(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:47:30 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Larry Coats wrote:

>I think you missed the point. Yes, the original visit will be logged.
>But if the site fails to work well with NN, then those NN visitors
>aren't likely to return. So naturally the logs will not contain future
>visits from NN users, and the NN percentage will drop.

No. I did not miss the point. It just takes one visit from any unique
individual to tell me the browser they are on .... and frankly, my logs
show consistently almost zero with NN on one of the Italian government
sites I manage. This site receives 800 to 900 hits per day. The rest varies
but show almost very little difference. By the way, most of my sites are
compatible (readable) with most if not all browsers. Another site has a
"sniffer" with a redirect to those on NN, yet, still, IE dominates.

So, where do I draw the line? Because these costs are passed on the client.
I don't think it is fare to have a client pay for the time I spend coding
for a browser which is not widely used. As I said before, I prefer to focus
on assessability, usability, and emerging technologies like XHTML rather
than code for different browsers, specially for public and non-profit sites.

Nora S.