Re: MySQL Queries (OT?)

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:37:31 +1100
 To:  Nathan <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:37 PM 14/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm working on putting together a music database for a local radio station,
>using PHP and MySQL and am having problems getting the sort of query I want
>to work fast enough... but I'm not sure if this is "list-appropriate" as
>far as a topic. My problem is basically that even using Indexes, I can't
>get info from 3 tables to relate fast enough to be practical. I think my
>best time so far is 34 seconds, which to anyone using a browser, is an
>eternity. :-{

That sounds way too slow?  Can you give any more details?  eg.
* is the database design optimised?
* are they accessing it via a LAN?

>Anyway, if anyone out there is a whiz at writing queries or can tell me if
>the topic is an appropriate one I can elaborate further either on or off
>list. <fingers crossed>

I can't see any problems with it ;-)

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156