Re: Transparent Gifs and Text

by "Collette K. McNeill" <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:39:16 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your problem is with dithering, I think, which is easily overcome.  Doing
so is the first step to text-as-image happiness.
This method has worked for me since Photoshop 4.x and it essentially works
in almost any graphic editor.

1. Sample the prevalent color on the background of the page the text-image
will appear on.

2. Make that color the background of your photoshop image. Seperate layers
are OK but you'll flatten them anyway...

3. Create desired text. Save work into a temporary file.

4. From the menu bar, Select All/Copy Merged into a new image file with a
transparent background, or Merge Visible Layers if the file you're working
with already has a transparent background.

Here's the trick:  you want to remove the background color without removing
any of the SHADING or TRANSITIONAL colors between the text and the
background.  The end result is a graphic, a transparent gif, which looks
like crap on any color except the one it's designed for...where it looks
exactly how you intended.

5.  With Flattened image, from toolbar, Select Color Range, move the
eyedropper's tolerance level lower (I play with this setting) and select
the background color of the image + text.  Alternatively, use the Magic
Wand tool (with lower tolerance level) to select the background
color.  Save work as finished gif and place on webpage. Be amazed at how
easy this was.

Without specifying the text's background color, your beautiful text is
being shaded into that nasty grey/pink "invisible" color known by browsers.

Collette