RE: software text editors

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:33:28 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Jeff Nelson <nelsonj(at)telocity.com>, "Maria's Place" <maria(at)coachmaria.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Partial list.  From memory because I did not keep the other emails.

(Only Windows products here.  Since I don't use a Mac it would be a
disservice attempting to list Mac tools in this post.)

*  Notepad - Free.  Comes with Windows.  (It seems everyone has to start
someplace.  The real question is - when will you move on to better tools?)

*  WordPad - Free.  Comes with Windows.  An ugly little brother of M$
Word.  Not worth the effort to try and create HTML.

*  M$ Word and other word processing programs.  Not free.  Just
don't.   Repeat.  Just don't.  Creating HTML with them is like hammering a
finishing nail into the wall to hang a picture with a sledgehammer.  It
*may* get the job done, but the extra effort, collateral damage and
detritus means quite a bit of repair and cleanup before you get quality code.

*  TextPad -  http://www.textpad.com/  Free evaluation available.  Nice
tool, but its a superdooper Notepad and not much more.  Not designed for
creating HTML.

*  NoteTab - http://www.notetab.com/  Comes in several flavors, including
freeware. (Personal experience - The author designed NoteTab with HTML in
mind.  Seriously worth a try, especially if Notepad is all you use.  I use
it for light touchups to existing pages when I'm in a hurry.)

*  UltraEdit - http://www.ultraedit.com/  Similar to NoteTab, but
shareware.  (Personal experience - Worth a try.  I never got into it
because I discovered NoteTab first.)

*  Homesite - http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/  (Originally by
Allaire until Macromedia bought them out.)  Free 30-day evaluation
available.  Excellent tool.  Worth the price.  A "real" HTML editor.
Configure it to meet your needs.  Designed to integrate with Dreamweaver
and Cold Fusion (because Macromedia also sells those, too!)   (Personal
experience - I use this all the time.)

*  FirstPage -  http://evrsoft.com/1stpage/  A freeware HTML
editor.  Consider to be very good in many circles.  Considering it's free,
seriously worth a try. If you don't like it, no harm done.  (Personal
experience - none, however, I have friends whom I trust and they like it.)

Does this help?

Kukla