Re: Problems with NN 4.7

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:40:35 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:38 PM 2/19/02 +0000, Andrew McFarland wrote:
>At 21:47 19/02/02 +0100, George Nielsen wrote:
><snip/>
>>It seems to me that Netscape cannot see the CSS, it can only see the
>>frames page. What can I do to render the contents visible to both
>>Netscape and Internet Explorer?
><snip/>
>
>NS4 is odd about (some) relative URLs to linked CSS. Try using
>
><.link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
>href="http://www.post1.com/home/genie/Personal%20Files/Personal.css">

Actually it is not a case of being unable to resolve a relative path or an
absolute path.  The current path to the external CSS file is incorrect from
the start.  Netscape bawks, and rightly so, when the path is incorrect.  On
the other hand, IE's inability to stop a rendering illustrates the false
success of the page coding in the first place.  FWIW, you cannot write good
code from the start if a browser covers such mistakes.

A failure to provide a correct path, be it a relative path or an absolute
path, and thus deny the correct rendering of a web page violates the W3C
standards.  Netscape adheres to this.  However, page rendering in IE
violates the W3C standard because it covers up a coding mistake.

Kukla

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial
appearance of being right."
- Thomas Paine