Re: FrontPage to Dreamweaver specific function how to

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:37:37 -0800
 To:  "'hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "DiVita, Judith L. [JLD]" <JLD(at)ElkayMfg.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your best bet is to go cold turkey:

1)  Bring up the web site in question in your browser (preferably do not
use IE for this).
2)  Download the home page and/or a subordinate page to your browser into a
new folder (directory).
3)  Open Dreamweaver and create a new template from the page(s).
4)  Apply the template to the rest of the site.
5)  Site now converted to Dreamweaver.

6)  Now start tweaking the site (Perl scripts, JavaScript, etc.) to make it
fully functional.

Caveats in the transition:

1)   Microsoft is into *heavy* integration of its application and server
software, e.g., FrontPage and IIS.
2)   This integration forces dependencies which other quality web
development tools do not require or need.  Hence they are quite portable.
3)   In essence, for FrontPage to work properly, the server must have
additional files (FrontPage components) installed.  Liken this to
purchasing a vehicle (FrontPage) which can only be driven on roads
expressly built for it (FrontPage components and an IIS server), while the
rest of the world drives vehicles which can be driven everywhere, including
those FP-specific roads.  Where do you want to go today? :).
4)  While the software integration has been a good thing in some circles,
it does force the developer to only use one tool set to accomplish the
mission.   Kinda like living in a company town where you can purchase only
from the company stores, only drive a company car, play in the company
playground, go to the company movie house, watch the company television
network, and work for one company.   If you lose your job for whatever
reason, you lose your house, your car and everything else as well.

In short, close your FrontPage manuals, put them on the shelf and walk
away.  Now use Dreamweaver.  You can always go back to FP if you are not
comfortable, but cut the cord now.

Kukla