RE: FrontPage to Dreamweaver specific function how to

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:45:28 -0800
 To:  "'hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "DiVita, Judith L. [JLD]" <JLD(at)ElkayMfg.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Judy,

You miss part of my point.

You do not have to dump IIS.  In order for FrontPage, and the pages created
by it, to be fully functional, you use FrontPage components.  Such
components have no purpose in life other than with FP.  By converting to
Dreamweaver for your web development needs (a good choice), you must give
up FP components, and not look back.  So instead of simple methods to
create a web form with its backend server support, you now create a web
page form, use a Perl script, and there you go.  (Providing, of course, the
network team has installed Perl on the system.)

Then again, with IIS you can use ASP.  Dreamweaver will write ASP
pages.  (Ah, er, actually, that means you will write ASP pages using
Dreamweaver.)  You can then take advantage of ASP which is already there
and your web page form uses CDONTS to send your form data.  You don't need
Perl scripts for your forms.  But you do have to learn Visual Basic.  :)

In short, FP and FP components on a server are effectively a proprietary
system.  By leaving FP and moving to DW, you do not have to change servers
and give up IIS for Apache or something else.  Using DW means no more
hand-holding that FP fosters with its users.  A web site created and
maintained by DW can be installed on any web server.  A web site created
and maintained by FP can only be installed on a web server with FP
components installed.  Most often that is a server running IIS.

M$ Index server is not dependent upon FP for web page creation and
maintenance, no matter what Bill Gates says.  Any good web tool will
work.  As for site searching, you use the tool that works for your server,
within a budget and administrative level with which you are comfortable.

<.caveat emptor=on>
As for next year's budget, look closely, very closely.  If your net
services team moves to XP (if they haven't already), be prepared for your
Microsoft licenses to change from purchase to subscription.   The move to
subscription software by M$ is something which will seriously affect your
budget.  In many case studies, the dollar cost of maintaining XP servers
(and desktops for that matter) will escalate way beyond budget limits than
*most* companies can afford.  Staying with IIS and XP may be a delight for
your net team, but the accountant will tell you that a strategic shift may
be in order because the new M$ licensing will price you out in a very short
time.
<.caveat emptor=off>

Kukla