Re: Domain Name Help

by George Nielsen <genie(at)postone.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:57:06 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ted,

In the United States, like in Australia, commercial Websites use the suffix
.com. In the UK and in south Africa they use the suffix .co. So I guess
that it would be cityname.com.us, if it is a commercial site. But if it is
a city (which the URL implies) then it would probably be cityname.us.

I hardly ever see the suffix .us. The Websites of the United States never
seem to indicate which country they belong to. The .gov domain is for a
U.S. government institution, and .mil is for the U.S. armed forces. I guess
that most domains, such as .com and .net, were originally by default
American, as it was the Americans who invented the Internet. Since then
these domains have been fully internationalised.

George Nielsen