Re: OT: Another question about limiting access to a site

by Linda Mercer/Wishstar <catnip(at)ais.net>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:41:17 -0600
 To:  Rob Atkinson <robatkinson(at)nucleus.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks! It turned out I had put an ending  / on the URL  when I entered it=
=20
in the control panel.. which built the URL with TWO ending slashes and that=
=20
caused the problem. All fixed now!

Linda

At 12:24 AM 3/28/02, you wrote:
>Linda, check each of your .htaccess files for the following:
>
>AuthType Basic
>AuthName "Access to wherever"
>AuthGroupFile /dev/null/
>AuthUserFile /path to password file
>
><.LIMIT GET POST PUT>
>require valid-user
><./LIMIT>
>
>Should be similar to the above and only "one" .htaccess file, is put in=20
>each of the first directories of those you want protected. For a quick=20
>Tutorial and Free script that will help you accomplish what you desire:
>
>http://potentproducts.com/resources/free/index.html
>
>and look under Scripts.
>
>Shoot me an Email if you run into any problems.
>

>Website Rob
>Helping people create a Potent Web Site
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:53:24 -0600
>From: Linda Mercer/Wishstar <catnip(at)ais.net>
>Subject: OT: Another question about limiting access to a site
>
>I've .htaccess protected two difference directories in our site. It=
 works=3D20
>for asking for password and ID on entrance to either directory just=
 fine...=3D
>=3D20
>however, it keeps asking for password and ID when you try to get to=
 other=3D20
>pages in that same directory from within the accessed directory or to=
 pages=3D
>=3D20
>in the subdirectory even though you've already entered and cleared the=3D20
>first access requirements. Is there any way to stop that ...or is there=3D2=
0
>another program that will allow just one request and submission of ID=
 and=3D20
>password to access one directory (all files) AND it's subdirectories?

=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=
=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7

"There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching
down and helping to lift someone up"  - Bernard Meltzer
Feline Rescue Network at www.felinerescue.net

=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=
=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7

The Feline Rescue Network specializes in linking up
great homes with great kitties. Join Operation Noble
Foster and offer a foster home for the cats of the
Military while they are away protecting us
http://www.felinerescue.net/noblefoster/intro.htm