Re: Shopping carts questions

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:27:03 -0700
 To:  "Annique" <annique(at)kscable.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Alternatively, try CCNow.  They handle the credit card processing and host
>the shopping cart portions of your website while charging a fee per
>transaction.  That has worked well for smaller businesses that may have many
>products but no history to get the merchant services set up through the
>bank.
>
>Teajai Kimsey
>Budget Website Design
>http://www.budgetwebsitedesign.com

Hello,

Your post sounded very interesting so I looked at CCNow's demo and store
gallery.

It seems that CCNow doesn't let you brand your checkout (specifically, YOUR
store name is only a printed field on CCNow's checkout sheet! No logo! No
branding!) AND according to their website, they charge somewhere around
$12/mo. plus 10% of all sales over $100/month.

That cuts into profitability because standard merchant accounts charge
between 2-5% of sales to process online transactions. PayPal, another
service which lets people sell online without merchant accounts, charges
2.7% sales plus 30 cents per transaction.

So, for a lackluster presence which I think would turn away customers, I
pay over 3x as much as PayPal, which has spent many of its own advertising
dollars over several years establishing its service as the #1 choice of
eBay sellers...

...but I have no experience with either CCNow, PayPal, or eBay.  My
question to Teajai, or any other member of this humble list, is: what is
your personal experience with CCNow or other online credit card processors?

Thanks,
Collette McNeill