Re: "Undelivered Mail..." has me pulling my hair out!

by Linda Mercer/Wishstar <catnip(at)ais.net>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Jun 2002 18:34:02 -0500
 To:  Bob Unger <rbu(at)cirex.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
That's exactly what the virus does. I've been bombarded, too, by=20
"undeliverable mail" I've never sent out. The virus takes the email=20
addresses in the  address book on the infected computer and sends out=20
emails with the virus WITH THOSE ADDRESSES AS THE "REPLY TO" ADDRESSES.

I've found it impossible to tract down whose computer is infected and many=
=20
of them probably don't realize they have the infection, so they keep coming.

Linda

At 04:10 PM 6/7/02, you wrote:
>For the last few weeks I have been bombarded by "Undelivered Mail Returned=
=20
>to Sender" messages.  I get around 20 to 30 a day saying it's returned to=
=20
>me because it's infected with Klez - or the recipient doesn't accept=20
>attachments, etc.... all kinds of reasons.  But most of the "undelivered"=
=20
>address's are not in my address book (I use Eudora) and all the messages=20
>have my address in the "from" field.
>
>I've scanned my disk with Norton and it comes up clean - yet I am getting=
=20
>all these "returned mails" with my address on it.
>
>How does Klez work?  Is Klez grabbing my address from other peoples=20
>address books that are infected with the virus - and then I get the=20
>returned mail?  Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop getting all these=20
>"returned" messages???????
>
>The kicker to all this is, is that it's using my brand new email address=20
>that I've had for just about a
>month now.  It's driving me insane!
>
>Bob Unger
>rbu(at)cirex.net

=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=
=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7

"There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching
down and helping to lift someone up"  - Bernard Meltzer
Feline Rescue Network at www.felinerescue.net

=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=
=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7=AB=A4=BB=A5=AB=A4=BB=A7

The Feline Rescue Network specializes in linking up
great homes with great kitties. Join Operation Noble
Foster and offer a foster home for the cats of the
Military while they are away protecting us
http://www.felinerescue.net/noblefoster/intro.htm