Re: ALT text not showing in NS 6?

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:30:37 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Tenley Shewmake <ts(at)awebresource.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The specs say that ALT text is to be used when images are not visible, e.g.
as in text-only browsers like Lynx.  The specs never said that holding the
cursor over an image should display the ALT text:  for this you are
supposed to use TITLE instead.  IE has supported TITLE for a long, long
time:  Netscape only began supporting it in Netscape 6.   This of course
creates interesting problems for backwards-compatibility.

Bottom line:  you should use both ALT and TITLE, each for their intended
purposes.

At 11:38 AM 06/27/02, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Is it just me, or does Netscape 6 not show alt text when the cursor is
>over pictures? I have Netscape 6.2.3 and it DOES show the Title attribute.
>
>What are the implications of this if any in terms of accessibility or
>general page usability? I know a screen reader will still use the alt
>text, but I have used the alt text to add information for users that isn't
>duplicated in the general (visible) text on the page.
>
>--
>Best Regards,
>
>Tenley
>
>Tenley Shewmake, Webmaster Alterra Furniture
>http://www.awebresource.com/furniture/
>ts(at)awebresource.com

-
Chuck Upsdell