Re: IE 6 - Opinions?

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:01:00 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Adrian Harris <adrian(at)gn.apc.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Adrian:

I will speak from two perspectives:  as a user, and as a designer.

As a user, I find IE6 more flaky than the latest version of 5.5:  IE craps
out more often than 5.5, and exhibits some clear bugs.  Hopefully the
upcoming service pack will fix most of this.  Check my weekly newsletter,
the Browser News, to find out when it becomes available.

As a designer, I always specify a DOCTYPE, which (as you know) makes IE6
apply the standards more strictly.  This has not been a problem for me, as
I have always coded for the standards, and I have been testing my sites
with Mozilla (which is likewise very strict) for over two years.  I do get
a bit frustrated sometimes, however, because in some ways IE6 does not
comply with standards as well as Mozilla does:  IE6 is my main browser, but
I have to flip to Mozilla fairly often to test things which today work
properly only with Mozilla.

[]  HTH, Chuck Upsdell

At 02:43 PM 06/27/02, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just downloaded IE 6 and wondered what opinions folk had about it.
>Reports I've read are promising - good support for standards and nothing to
>scary as far as older code is concerned as long as your doctypes are up to
>scratch.
>Hotwired and CNET both have reviews.
>
>Cheers,
>Adrian