RE: Warning about Netscape 7 Preview

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:16:22 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Davies, Elizabeth H." <EHDavies(at)West.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I completely disagree with that. Mozilla is implementing (or attempting to
>implement) the standards. NS is now based on the Mozilla engine. MS
>appears to be grudgingly applying the standards ...

I agree that MS is a bit slack in applying the standards, but let's be
honest:  IE4 supported the standards far better than NN4; IE5 supported the
standards better still; IE5.5 better still; and IE6 better still.  Only
with NN6/Mozilla has Netscape crept up to IE6 ... and arguably passed
it.  IE is like the turtle in Aesop's fable:  slowly, steadily, running the
race, while Netscape has been like the rabbit, resting for years, then
making a frantic dash to catch up.  Yes, Netscape deserves a lot of credit
for what it has (recently) done; but Microsoft deserves some credit too.

>"Designing" for IE makes for lazy code ...
>
>I bet if you designed a page using only Netscape unique code ...

But one should not design a page for a particular browser anyway:  one
should design for the standards, while making tweaks needed to satisfy the
idio(t)syncracies of the real-world browsers.

[]  Regards, Chuck Upsdell

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)upsdell.com