Re: question on ownership

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:59:40 -0800
 To:  "Herb Lady" <psalmon(at)cafes.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In the absence of a contract, whose copyright is on the website?

My experience is that as a web designer, your work product is considered
"work for hire," which means that the company who paid you to produce the
website and everything on it owns the website and everything on it. In our
contracts, we specify that although our clients own all elements of the web
site we design for them, we have the right to use the site or elements of
the site as examples of our work.

I'm not a lawyer, however; you might want to seek legal advise.

Collette
PS It sounds like you were asked to re-do your changes because the new
development group flubbed something.  I hope you get paid for the effort.
Perhaps you should contact the client and ask them if they've changed their
minds about the new dev't group since their first move was to screw things
up...  good luck!

At 02:12 PM 3/21/03 -0600, you wrote:
>I probably don't have a leg to stand on and I should have had a contract...
>
>psalmon

- xoxoxo -
Forget Freedom Fries! French Kiss for Peace!
Get Living Dangerously's newest t-shirt at: http://www.cafeshops.com/livingd14
Sales of this design benefit an anti-war organization. See page for details.