Re: Matt Wright's FormMail.pl

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:24:16 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:47 AM 6/16/03 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a client who wants a completed form which is processed by Matt
>Wright's FormMail.pl to be automatically e-mailed back to the person who
>originally completed the form from his web site.  Can anybody tell me how
>to add the variable "email" to the list of @recipients?

I did this for a dayspa client of mine, but the script was hacked to send
spam. Additionally, a large percentage of firewalled corporate email
servers bounced the FormMail reply as spam.

So, the answer for your client is that the email solution is just not an
elegant one, and doing what he wants will leave his script insecure and
he'll pay for it in the future (for example, his website could be turned
off and domain name blacklisted until the problem's fixed).

The solution I came up with for my dayspa client was to add a second step
in between input and mailing.

1. Fill out form and submit to custom script
2. Custom script displays input to screen
         a. User is advised to print this page for records. (instead of
receiving it via email)
         b. User is asked to confirm information & submit to FormMail
3. FormMail processes script & sends to recipient.

Alternatively, the latest version of FormMail has an email confirmation
function that I haven't explored because it didn't seem to send data with it.

Collette