Re: Fonts question

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:25:10 -0700
 To:  <bryang(at)macc.edu>,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:47 PM 8/8/03 -0500, you wrote:

>What kinds of fonts (specific and/or family of fonts) do you find
>acceptable in online publications? Print publications?
>
>Bryan

For any publication you want to minimize the actual number of fonts used (I
learned, limit it to 3, but sometimes break that rule).

The fonts typically used for online pubs is expanding.
My current fave font set is:
Arial, Verdana, MS Trebuchet, Times New Roman. These are used by the
NYTimes and LATimes.
OTOH, one of my favorite webzines is published solely in comic sans serif,
for an informal look.

I suggest going to an online publication whose design you respect/admire
and peeking at their style sheet to determine which fonts they're using.

As far as print is concerned, I've learned that serif fonts are good for
bodies of text, because serif is easier on the eye, while headlines are
best rendered in sans-serif fonts, to maximize white space around the letters.

Good luck,
Collette