Re: HTML / XHTML

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:25:41 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Bruce Cameron <dumarest(at)midcoast.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:36 PM 11/16/03, you wrote:
>Most {?} Web pages are in HTML4, I am trying to stick to XHTML
>Transitional. Comments on the goodness or problems with that approach welcomed.

I've used xHTML exclusively since the xHTML 1.0 standard came out.  I've
had no problems at all doing this.

Many argue that xHTML should not be used because (a) they assert that there
is no special advantage to using it, and (b) many browsers -- notably IE --
don't support xHTML.

I use xHTML because (a) it is one step closer to XML, (b) xHTML is
stricter, e.g. end tags are mandatory, so validating pages identifies the
missing end tags that cause endless problems with NN4, and (c) although
many browsers do not support xHTML, those that don't support it will accept
xHTML, rendering pages as they would any HTML pages. NOTE:  some would
respond to my point (b) that there are code checkers that can identify
missing end tags; I know this, and I use such a tool -- in my design
methodology I use a (fast) validator (aRealValidator.com) to check often
for syntax errors, and I use my (slow) code checker to check a site when it
is nearly ready -- so it saves me time and trouble if the validator can
report missing end tags.