Re: HTML / XHTML

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:18:55 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>To my knowledge, there is not a browser that "does not support" XHTML. Any
>browser that renders HTML will support/render XHTML. XHTML is simply a strict
>form of HTML, which requires all lower case letters and closing tags. I can't
>really think of any "advantage" of using XHTML, as it is rendered exactly the
>same as HTML. The difference is just the strictness of the valid, well-formed
>structure of the markup. I personally like to use XHTML Strict for markup and
>CSS for all styling.
>
>I think perhaps Charles was thinking of XML, which is neither supported nor
>rendered by IE.

Depends what you mean by support.  If by support you mean the browser can
render xHTML, then yes, IE does support it, but this is not because IE was
designed to support it, but because IE doesn't know what else to do.

Consider, for example, NN4.  It was released long before the xHTML standard
came out, so should hardly be deemed to support xHTML ... except that, like
IE, NN4 doesn't know what else to do and renders xHTML as it does HTML.

Note also that 'support' of xHTML by legacy browsers is aided by careful
crafting of the code.  See appendix C of the xHTML specification to learn
how to craft xHTML for compatibility with HTML browsers.

[]  Regards, Chuck Upsdell