Re: flat panel screen recommendations

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:41:22 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  John Gold <jgold(at)desktoppub.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I know this forum is for HTML questions, but I figure you're the best
>audience to pose this question -- is anyone here using a flat-panel (LCD)
>monitor for their work? I'd like to replace my aging CRT with a flat
>panel, but I'm concerned that I won't get accurate (at least for web work)
>color reproduction when I'm editing photos for web sites.
>
>I've gotten mixed reports from people -- most only print end where they
>still view LCD monitors with suspicion.
>
>Any recommendations?
>
>I'm working on a Mac and while I'm willing to pay for a decent screen, my
>budget isn't unlimited. I'm hoping to find something for around $400.

I got a 17" LCD monitor with my new Dell, and the first thing I noticed was
that reds were much more intense.  For example, light colours that were
more or less neutral in colour tended to look more pinkish.

This may be a Windows issue, however, since a client with Macs told me that
my reds had always been too intense:  when I adjusted the affected graphics
to use somewhat less red, it not only looked right on my new display, but
also on his Macs.

Note that the only graphics I had to change were those with large
light-coloured sections.  With other graphics the greater intensity of the
reds was not noticeable.

BTW, I have heard that CRT displays are easier to read than LCD displays,
but I have found the opposite to be true:  my LCD display is MUCH easier on
my eyes that my old CRT displays.

HTH, Chuck Upsdell

-
Chuck Upsdell, www.upsdell.com
Note: to ensure I receive your eMail, please send in plain text, and avoid
words commonly found in spam; otherwise your eMail may be blocked before it
gets to me.