Re: XHTML 2.0

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:37:29 +1000
 To:  Michael McKee <mikemckee(at)cablespeed.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:07 AM 8/10/2002 -0700, Michael wrote:
>I just spent the last couple of weeks buried in Framemaker. My boss
>thought that since I can use Pagemaker I should replace the guy who
>produced our manuals. FYI they're very different animals.

*ROFL*  This has to the understatements of the week :-)

>Anyway, what I came out with was an XML file that produced output that the
>print department was happy with and the same material up on our intranet
>with little extra trouble. This was my first real exposure to  XML and I'm
>seriously impressed.

Content management and re-use is certainly the next step in the evolution
of website design.  The big organisations have been doing this for a couple
of years now.

>But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what we've all learned of
>web design is starting to become less and less relevant in the marketplace.

Not out on a limb at all - just an accurate assessment IMO.

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156