Re: New Browser Window Link problem

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 09 Jul 2002 22:47:04 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 13:00 08/07/02 -0500, Jeremy Pratte wrote:
>Does anybody know the best way to get a new browser window (i.e. a
>"target=_blank" link) to come up in a window that is 100% *no matter what*?

It is actually impossible to do no matter what. Even ignoring browsers like
AvantGo on the Palm OS and Lynx (which don't use windows) it requires some
server side scripting language, like JavaScript, to be enabled, and for
there to be nothing else that might stop new windows appearing (there are
various things that can stop new windows appearing, both part of the
browser and as external programmes).

>I need to have links whereupon the browser window comes up full screen no
>matter what resolution the monitor is (you know how sometimes it comes up
>less than 100% if the person's browser window was last used as less than
>full screen).

I don't have my JavaScript book to hand, but it can probably be done with a
reasonable degree of reliability on common platforms. I'll see what I can
work out tomorrow.

But - and its a big but - why do you want to do this? A new window that
fills the screen is _normally_ bad for users, particularly if it happens
unexpectedly. As well as causing back button related confusion, usually if
a browser window isn't maximized it is because the user doesn't need it
maximized. There may be other solutions to the problem (but there might not
be).

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/