Re: Page won't load Netscape 4

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:55:37 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 21:16 11/08/02 -0500, Gary Krockover wrote:
>You've got some unclosed/overlapping <tr>'s.  Double check all of your
>tables.  Netscape 4 is notorious for not showing anything if the tables
>aren't laid out properly.  Or, for all the Netscape 4 fans, I should say,
>it's much more strict in the requirements for proper table layouts.  :)

In HTML 4.01, the closing tags for td and tr are optional. If Netscape 4
chokes on this, then Netscape 4 is at fault :)

ON a more practical note, missing </tr> and </td> tags are probably what is
causing the problem. In addition, I would make sure that the page
validates. Debugging problems with Netscape 4 is hard enough with valid
code, let alone invalid. Remember that _everywhere_ an & appears, you must
use &amp; instead, even if it is in an href attribute.

Andrew