Re: forms font size.

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:05:17 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:51 12/10/02 +0800, C.Schmid wrote:
>I am trying to reduce the default font size that is used in the forms
>elements in HTML e.g. drop down lists, menus etc.

Why?

Reducing the font size anywhere is usually a bad idea - users should set
their default font to be comfortable to them, and then all default font
sizes in webpages will be comfortable to them. It is an even worse idea to
reduce the font size in form elements. It is particularly important that
these elements are usable. If you have a form where there are, say, too
many entries in a drop down list to display easily at the default font size
then the best course of action is to redesign the form.

>I have tried wrapping the font tag around the <option> tag but this will
>not seem to work in IE only NS.

Avoid the font tag. You can achieve the same effect using CSS

>Is there any way that I can get it to work in both browsers?

With CSS - but don't do it!

option {
   font-size: 3px /* Nobody can read this !*/
}

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/