Re: Formatting question

by Al Sessions <al(at)oldforgefd.org>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:23:08 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:35 AM 8/16/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Two people suggested that I use Dreamweaver to clean up the code from the
>newsletters. Problem is, I don't have Dreamweaver, nor do I have the money
>to invest in it at this time. I do have Front Page 2000, which has an HTML
>converter.

The 30 day trial is free from Macromedia and that may give you enough time
to evaluate the product and finish the job. Another consideration is that
at one time MM offered a discount (similar to a student one) for
non-profits, this was never heavily promoted but it may be worth an inquiry.

>that the church uses does not support PHP or databases. (I know, the answer
>to this is find a new host. I'm looking into getting into business as a
>reseller, and if that happens I can donate some space to the church, but for
>now they're stuck with what they have.)

You could look into using SSI for the includes, this in a conjunction with
a flat file system (Greymatter, Movable Type, etc.) may give you the
functionality you need. It's a very rare host that doesn't offer Perl.

>As for converting the file to a PDF format -- As I recall, this requires
>using a program that I do not have and cannot afford at the present time.
>(If I'm mistaken, I'll gladly stand corrected.) However, I do have a pet
>peeve about sites that require me to download a program before I can read
>their content. My usual practice is to leave the site and go elsewhere for
>the information I want.

Agreed. Unless the newsletter is large enough to require the printability
and search functions of the PDF format, it is probably overkill. Generally
I like to stay clear of formats that require proprietary software or plugins.