RE: .p align=justify

by Al Sessions <al(at)oldforgefd.org>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:13:49 -0800
 To:  David Jones <dvjones(at)ksbe.edu>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:03 AM 10/29/2002 -1000, you wrote:
>As a former desktop publisher, I would never use justify
>(by that I mean full justification) on a web site. Screen
>displays don't offer enough resolution to make it look
>good. It might be useful if you're doing a style sheet for
>better print output.

I don't think it's so much a matter of resolution as a question of
controlling the type.

Done carelessly, justifying type (whether via a p=align  or CSS) leads to
some ugly text as spacing is adjusted (often seemingly at random) to fill
the container. However, if your willing to forgo usability concerns and fix
the text size in pixels, and keep it contained in a fixed width space it
can be effective. I've seen it put to good use on sites that attempt to
replicate traditional newspaper layout, but that about the only time.

It boils down to how desperately you need control of your text, don't use
justified text without being willing to consider how your going to control
the size of the container and an awareness of the *many* usability issues.
Your also going to have to preview constantly, on at least two platforms
and several browsers (better get used to changing your resolution just to
be sure) while considering your wording very carefully to keep it
consistent, this is a lot of work to make something more difficult for the
user.