Re: REPOST

by Greg Hart <ghhart(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:45:43 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I found this odd as well, since it's HTML code that's been around. I have a
theory why some, including myself, are using checkboxes with the same name
attribute to get a list with commas, while others are having to give
different names to get the same result. It's not the HTML, but the
processing of what the form sends. The form sends the values separated by
&, but it's up to the called form handler to format it. I use XHTML with
the same name on things I want grouped, calling a cgi script. Have done
this for years. It, and past scripts, have stuck same named checkboxes
together always. There must be something about the function cbirds is using
that does not do this.

In short, the HTML form sends the values. It cares not how they are
displayed on the other side, that's not its job. That's my guess anyway,
since it's work for me with the same name. And I know it's just academic,
since cbirds seems to have resolved his problem anyway. Just had to comment.

- Greg Hart