Re: Opening Word doc

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:31:37 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:14 PM 3/10/2003, David Jones wrote:
>On 10 Mar 2003, at 15:26, Adrian Harris wrote:
>
> > my client wants to offer a Word version of a long
> > document, so I've made a simple <a href> link to the
> > document. This has always worked fine in all browsers, but
> > IE 5.5 opens the document in the browser window, not in
> > Word itself. Well, maybe it's using Word, but it appears
> > to be in the browser:
> >
> > Opera 7 and NN 6 do what we want - download the Word Doc.
> > Is there any way to force IE to open it in Word?
>
>Nope, it's a setting in IE that the user has to change.
>
>David
>dvjones(at)ksbe.edu

David is right, but you can fool IE by using a non-standard extension.  For
example, instead of ".doc", use ".doc.sav" and the "save" dialog will
probably appear (don't think .sav is a standard extension).  Of course the
user will then have to either rename it or tell Word to open this kind of
file.  Another problem that may arise is, if you tell Word that these are
doc files, it may share that info with IE and you're back to "square one".

HTH,

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com