Re: Ethical Dilemma

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:03:58 -0500
 To:  beno <lists(at)TheWebsons.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:35 AM 3/26/2003, beno wrote:
>Hi;
>I live in the US Virgin Islands. Jewelry is big out here. On a trip to St.
>Thomas, I ended up signing my first TWO jewelers. They're direct
>competitors, of course. Neither of them knows about the other. Each has
>purchased the exact same package. I've just started developing their
>sites. The artwork, of course, is different, but the navigation is almost
>identical. After all, I have one brain and one best idea for navigation in
>their business. Besides, if I did it any other way, once finished they'd
>each complain that the other's navigation was superior. They've also each
>purchased usability studies. Now, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to
>repeat virtually the same study for each of them. Besides, they'd both
>suggest I'd double-charged them. So it seems reasonable to break the news
>to them both concerning the situation, and suggest I give them double
>their money on the usability studies (two for the price of one). Ain't I a
>lucky guy. Suggestions?
>TIA,
>beno

Boy, does this ring a bell.  I recently had two funeral homes in the same
small town sign up within weeks of each other.  Early on one of them
expressed some concern about working my on two competing sites at the same
time, but I assured him that each design I do is unique and specifically
tailored to his firm.

Interestingly, the designs ended up being almost totally different except
in a few common areas (staff, for example).  Both took totally different
approaches to the kind of information they wanted and how it was
presented.  While the navigation is similar in function, it is no more
similar than to any other small business site I have done.  Both clients
are very pleased with the results.

I hope that you will find the same in your situation.  In regards to the
usability studies, are you saying that two studies on the same site are
worth twice as much (or more) as one?  If not, I would recommend that you
tell the customer that you have found a more efficient method of doing
his/her study that will net a 50% discount.

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com