Re: Offsite link warning

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:34:39 -0500
 To:  custom <custom(at)desktoppub.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:13 PM 4/1/2003, custom wrote:
>My client wants visitors to its web site to be warned when they click on
>a link that leads them off the site. I can think of two ways to do this:
>
>-- A javascript that creates one of those javascript warning windows;
>-- An intermediate page with the warning that contains a link to the site
>
>Has anyone done this and are there any recommendations on which way to go?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

The first one seems the simplest to implement, but I really think this is a
bad idea, as it will create an extra step for the user.  Usually, the whole
change of look and feel is enough for someone to realize the "are not in
Kansas anymore, Toto."

However, if you must, how about a javascript pop-up window that has two
frames?  The top could say something about the content below being off site
and the bottom have the page.

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com
803-405-1008